For many years, Liposuction has been the preferred choice when it comes to fat removal.
However, a novel contouring procedure known as VASER, which is short for Vibration Amplification of Sound Energy at Resonance, but commonly known as LipoSelection (which is less of a mouthful), is now helping people lose weight and gently reshape their body without significant pain or downtime.
Compared to Liposuction, which is now regarded as a more invasive treatment, often causing swelling and bruising, LipoSelection uses state-of-the-art ultrasound technology that enables it to differentiate fat from other tissues including nerves and blood cells. The treatment only targets the fat the patient requires removing, which is why there is less swelling and bruising.
Liposuction was first introduced in 1920, since then, enormous progress has been made in the procedure with new methods becoming mainstream every year. The latest technique of liposuction with VASER removes the unwanted fat from your body, thus creating a defined and sculpted body. The surgeon breaks up and emulsifies the fat prior to removal with an ultrasound probe which facilitates the liposuction process and reduces pain. VASER liposuction combines ultrasonic waves (inaudible sound wave) with liposuction technology where ultrasonic waves precisely breaks up and liquefies targeted fat without disrupting connective tissue, nerves or blood vessels while liposuction technology safely removes the stubborn body fat with minimal to no damage to the surrounding tissue resulting in a limited bruising. The technique is becoming popular due to its quick recovery time, and less complications compared to the other traditional liposuction procedures.
Difference between VASER lipo and Traditional lipo-
Choosing which method and technique of liposuction is needed to remove unwanted excess fat is an individual choice and also something that your surgeon will help you decide.
However, it is important to understand the basic differences between these two methods of unwanted fat removal.
- Both traditional liposuction and Vaser Lipo can be used to treat larger areas of fat, while Vaser Lipo is especially effective for removal of dense, fibrous fatty tissue, such as the fat found in the back and male breasts.
- Traditional liposuction mostly refers to power-assisted liposuction in which the fat is not prepared for removal. However with Vaser Lipo, ultrasonic waves initially and precisely break up and liquefy targeted fat without disrupting connective tissue, nerves or blood vessels before safely removing the stubborn body fat. Thus in VASER lipo liquefaction of the hard, fibrous tissue before removal makes the removal process easier and less traumatic to surrounding tissue which results less bruising and swelling.
Advantages of VASER Lipo over Traditional liposuction-
Vaser Lipo is an excellent method for body-sculpting and contouring as it has the following advantages and benefits over other traditional method of liposuction
- Relatively less invasive as compared to traditional lipo
- The emitted sound waves only target stubborn fat deposits, thus precision is guaranteed
- There is minimal damage to surrounding tissue such as nerves, blood vessels and connective tissues
- Suitable for both large as well as small areas
- Can be performed under local anaesthetic
- It can be completed quickly rather than taking up to three hours, as in a traditional liposuction.
- Can be performed as an outpatient procedure, i.e. does not require an overnight stay in hospital
- Relatively low operation time, approximately 1-2 hours depending upon the areas to be treated
- Minimum downtime and recovery time is faster due to it being much less intrusive than traditional lipo
- Minimal scarring, bruising and bleeding because the fat is essentially disrupted before being removed- the cannula does not have to be moved aggressively to break up the fat as in other traditional methods.
- Less painful than traditional lipo because the sensitive nerves, blood vessels, and connective tissue are spared
- This advanced procedure stimulates collagen production which results in the skin tightening rather than sagging, so the need to perform an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) is reduced.
- Good skin retraction which can be maintained with good lifestyle
- Smoother and more predictable immediate results which can even be visible from day one with continued improvement up to six months later.
- Safer and more effective procedure when compared to traditional liposuction
There are some variations in the method of Vaser Lipo such as Standard VASER lipo, VASER Hi-Def, VASER 4D etc and depending on which method is used, patients may be advised to take some precautions like not to drive/fly or engage in any intense physical activity for a few weeks during recovery period. Patients can return to normal activities within a shorter time span, although there may be some discomfort following the procedure. But overall it is most effective and a safe technique among all other methods of unwanted fat removal from your body.
If you would like to schedule a consultation for “VASER Lipo” with Dr Ashish Dutta please book your free consultation or call us on 0191 273 9339 / 0191 567 2900.
Qualified doctors and nurses will discuss the procedure before any treatment, explaining any possible side effects
-Dr Ash Dutta