In this blog Dr Ash Dutta is explaining the two closely related disease associated with male boobs- Gynaecomastia and Pseudogynaecomastia.
The main difference between Gynaecomastia and Pseudogynaecomastia is what is causing the enlargement.
Gynaecomastia can be classed in categories –
- ‘Pure glandular’ gynaecomastia
- ‘Mixed’ gynaecomastia
- If it’s ‘pure glandular’ gynaecomastia, the cause is enlargement of the breast area due to proliferation of fibrous breast tissue (glands)
- If it’s ‘mixed’ gynaecomastia, (the most common form of gynaecomastia) the cause is enlargement of the chest by both excess fibrous breast tissue and fatty tissue.
- But if it is pseudo-gynaecomastia the culprit is the enlargement of the male breast area by excess fat only.
Mixed gynaecomastia is treated by the removal of the fatty tissue using liposuction and excision of the glandular tissue; whereas ‘pure glandular’ gynaecomastia is treated by excision of glandular tissue.
- Due to excess breast tissue/glandular tissue growth
- The underlying tissue is firm, irregular and sometimes even painful to touch
- It often feels like a hard lump under the nipple but can also extend outside the borders of the areola depending on how much tissue there is
- Gynaecomastia is generally removed surgically
- Enlarged chest due to excess fatty tissue
- The underlying tissue is accumulated fat in the chest area which is soft and generally painless
- Feels like a soft lump below the breast
- Diet and exercise may help to reduce Pseudo-gynaecomastia
- Primarily occurs in overweight or obese people
Just because you have an enlarged chest doesn’t necessarily mean you have Gynaecomastia, it may be pseudo-gynaecomastia. As we have already mentioned earlier: the reason behind both the conditions are totally different, even if the appearance/symptoms are similar.
Before you request any treatment, you should see a doctor so that a proper assessment/diagnosis can be undertaken. Dr Ash Dutta advises patients to see their GP initially followed by a consultation with a doctor experienced in dealing with gynaecomastia.
You should not try to self-diagnose as successful outcome depends on the reliable diagnosis.
If you have gynaecomastia, then gynaecomastia surgery is the only permanent solution.
At the Aesthetic Beauty Centre, your progress is reviewed on a regular basis through follw-up appointments with your surgeon, Dr. Ash Dutta.
Finally, London is where the revolutionary VASER and body sculpting procedures are performed, under Dr Dutta’s watchful eye.
-Dr Ash Dutta